Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey: Week One Day Three Activity Two: Acknowledging Ancestry

Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.
90668006.jpg
When you have completed your pepeha, post it on your blog. You could even post a video of you reading out your pepeha.
Work↓↓


Ko Mt. Wellington te maunga
Ko Tamaki river te awa
Ko Tu’uga Salū Uelese tōku iwi
Ko Salū tōku hapu
Ko Te Tahawai tōku marae
Ko Save’u ahau
Ko Uaina rāua ko Maoimealelei ōku mātua  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Saveu
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    This really shows me a lot about yourself and it is wonderful to get to know you. Have you ever been to your home land?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Save’u,
    my name is Cia. I am a Ako Hiko Summer Learning Journey commentator who will be working with various bloggers over the summer break.

    Thank you for sharing your pepeha, you’ve been diligent about reciting your lineage and land, which is awesome! Perhaps next time you might like to include the place you live in, your home (it could be the city or suburb you live in).

    You would have to use the template “Kei __________ taku kāinga”. For me I would say ‘Kei Puketāpapa taku kāinga’, because ‘Puketāpapa’ (Mt Roskill) is the suburb I live in. What will yours look like?

    I look forward to hearing your reply!

    Toe feiloa’i fo’i ('See you again' in Samoan),

    Cia.

    ReplyDelete